DALLAS - Postal carriers have to be on the defensive in Dallas, according to new rankings from the U.S. Postal Service.
USPS released its national rankings for dog attacks in 2022.
Dallas finished third on the list with dogs biting carriers 44 times last year.
Houston finished first in the ranking with 57 bites and Los Angeles came in second with 48 incidents.
Texas was second among states, behind only California.
Overall, 5,300 Postal Service employees were attacked by dogs while delivering mail in 2022.
- How much money do you need to live comfortably in Dallas-Fort Worth?
- Two North Texas cities among the best places to live in America, survey says
- Plano named happiest city in Texas, according to new report
- Dallas is the #1 sports business city in U.S., report says
- This is how much money you need to make to be happy living in Texas, survey finds
- Dallas tops list of cities for cheaters in U.S., Fort Worth ranks No. 2
- You need to make this much to be 'middle class' in Texas
- Dallas was a top 10 destination for people moving in 2022, truck rental company says
Many attacks reported by letter carriers came from dogs whose owners regularly told them, "My dog won’t bite."
"When letter carriers deliver mail in our communities, dogs that are not secured or leashed can become a nemesis and unpredictable and attack," said Leeann Theriault, USPS employee safety and health awareness manager in a statement. "Help us deliver your mail safely by keeping your dog secure and out of the way before your carrier arrives."
USPS asks for owners to keep their dogs inside the house or behind a fence, away from the door or on a leash when mail carriers are around.
They also ask pet owners to remind children not to take mail from a letter carrier because the dog may see the carrier as a threat to the child.
Photographer: Ron Antonelli/Bloomberg via Getty Images
USPS Dog Bites in 2022
- Houston, TX - 57
- Los Angeles, CA - 48
- Dallas, TX - 44
- Cleveland, OH - 43
- San Diego, CA - 39
- Chicago, IL - 36
- St. Louis, MO - 34
- Kansas City, MO - 33
- Phoenix, AZ - 32
- San Antonio, TX - 32
- Detroit, MI - 30
- Philadelphia, PA - 28
- Louisville, KY - 26
- Columbus, OH - 23
- Minneapolis, MN - 22
- Milwaukee, WI - 22
- Cincinnati, OH - 22
- Charlotte, NC - 21
- Miami, FL - 21
- Indianapolis, IN - 21
- Toledo, OH - 20
- Baton Rouge, LA - 20
- Memphis, TN - 19
- San Francisco, CA - 19
- Pittsburgh, PA - 19
- Denver, CO - 19
- Akron, OH - 19
- Buffalo, NY - 18
- Dayton, OH - 18
- Fort Worth, TX - 17
- Long Beach, CA - 16
- Stockton, CA - 16
- Jacksonville, FL - 16
- Oklahoma City, OK - 16
- El Paso, TX - 16
- Baltimore, MD - 16