Suspect arrested in shooting of Dallas 12-year-old

Dallas police recently made an arrest in the shooting of a 12-year-old boy.

The child, Gregory Smith, is back at home recovering from his injuries. 

The shooting happened at an apartment complex in old east Dallas near a playground. 

Smith was playing outside with his brothers and sister on July 5 when he says a man nearby opened fire, aiming at another man he was fighting with.

One of the bullets hit Smith. 

“I ain’t doing no fighting…he pulled out his gun, he started shooting,” said Smith. “Boom! Boom! Boom! And hit me in my leg. I kept telling everybody, ‘I'm hit! I'm hit! I’m hit!’ And he kept shooting.” 

The bullet grazed Smith’s right thigh and entered his left calf, where it remains. 

“He told me it probably will stay in me for the rest of my life,” said Smith. 

After a stay in the hospital, where Smith learned to use crutches, he’s back home, waiting for the wound in his calf to heal.

“I just want to know, what made you go out there and shoot while 50 million kids outside?” said Smith’s mother, Inez Thompson. “What was you thinking of?” 

Since the shooting, Thompson has been anxious for police to make an arrest.

On Monday, she learned they did.

Aaron Mitchell, 20, is facing aggravated assault and injury to a child charges.

“I shouldn't wish nothing bad on a person, but like him, I don’t have empathy for him,” said Thompson. “You did that and then when you shot, you kept shooting and there were other people nearby. It wasn't just you shooting at my baby; you shooting at other people, too.”
Gregory has more doctor appointments ahead and will have to go through physical therapy to help his recovery.

He can't fully extend his left leg yet and uses a wheelchair at times.

Dallas police say they aren't looking for any other suspects.

Mitchell remains in jail. 

He claims he wasn't even in the area when the crime happened.

"I was nowhere around,” said Mitchell. “I don't even own a gun."

Mitchell has been arrested eight times since he turned 18, but he says he should not be locked up currently.

He says police arrested him after he totaled his car because a witness said he is the one who fired the shots.

“Were you travelling fast?” FOX 4’s Lori Brown asked Mitchell. “Were you trying to get somewhere quickly?”

“I was trying to go home,” said Mitchell.

“You said you don't own a gun,” said Brown. “How disturbed are you that a bullet hit a 12-year-old?”

“I'm obviously very disturbed, because I'm charged with the charge,” said Mitchell.