Suspect arrested in deadly shooting of Ferris HS grad

An arrest has been made in the weekend murder of a Ferris High School track star and recent graduate.

The body of 18-year-old Evette Quezada was found Sunday in Ferris, which is about 25 miles southeast of Dallas.

Frank “Frankie” Ortiz, 30, was arrested Monday night for Quezada’s murder. He is being held on a $1 million bond. Investigators have identified Ortiz as Quezada’s cousin, though Quezada’s friends say the two aren’t blood-related.

Quezada was shot to death in what investigators called a "disturbance.”

The discovery was made around 2:30 a.m. in the 100 block of Newton Road.

Quezada was found deceased from a single gunshot wound to the head. Two males at the scene were taken to area hospitals for treatment.

Investigators determined that one of the males was Quezada’s older brother, who suffered a gunshot wound to the hand. He is expected to fully recover.

The other male was Ortiz, who was booked Monday and is waiting to be arraigned on murder charges.

Early Sunday morning, Ellis County investigators say Quezada, her brother and Ortiz left a family party and drove to a wooded area a few hundred feet away when something went wrong.

“We don't know exactly what went on,” said Lt. James Saulter with the Ellis County Sheriff’s Department. “We know there were some words exchanged.”

Words turned to gunfire, and Quezada was shot. Even though her brother was also injured, investigators say he was still able to call 911 and detail what happened.

Ortiz was taken to the hospital for an unknown medical reason, then arrested upon release.

“We really don't know the motive,” said Saulter. “We brought him back and he was read his Miranda warning and he chose to speak to an attorney.”

Family members tell FOX 4 that no one at the party heard the shots nor witnessed any problems with Ortiz.

They say they are the most shocked and upset.

Quezada graduated a few weeks ago. Her school athletic director said she broke every record in cross country track on her way to qualifying for state.

Quezada was very active in her church and it showed on her social media accounts.

The last tweet from her Twitter account reads, “Because you went through those hard times and still had faith in God, he will reward you with more than you ever deserved. #EternalLife”

Friends and former classmates gathered to pray and remember her Tuesday night at the school

Quezada's viewing will be Thursday and her funeral will be Friday morning.