DALLAS - A man charged for beating a transgender woman was convicted of misdemeanor assault.
Jurors convicted Edward Thomas for beating Muhlaysia Booker outside an Oak Cliff apartment complex in April.
He was charged with felony aggravated assault but sentenced to 300 days in jail for the lesser charge.
Thomas’ sentence includes time served since his April arrest. That leaves a little more than four months left for him to serve.
Booker was found shot to death a month after the beating occurred. Police said the murder was unrelated.
- Attorney for man accused of beating Muhlaysia Booker arrested for contempt of court
- Jury sees additional footage of viral apartment beating of Muhlaysia Booker
- Trial starts this week for man accused of beating Muhlaysia Booker
- Judge rules Muhlaysia Booker to be identified as chosen gender, name during trial
- Dallas police arrest man accused of killing Muhlaysia Booker, 2 others