Ahead of expected winter weather and cold temperatures for much of Texas, Governor Greg Abbott has ordered the State Operations Center to increase its readiness from level 4 (normal condition) to level 3 (increased readiness) at 8 p.m. Monday night.
"The winter weather system sweeping across our state will bring low temperatures and freezing precipitation to many communities, which could create life-threatening situations," Abbott said in a released statement.
According to the governor's office, the following agencies will report to the State Operations Center Monday night:
- Texas Department of Public Safety
- Texas Department of Transportation
- Texas A&M Forest Service
- Texas Military Department
- Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Public Utility Commission
- Texas Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (Red Cross/Salvation Army)
Texas residents can contact 211 Texas to check on community established warming centers or related services. Visit Texas DPS for winter weather safety tips.