A 911 call from the morning a home exploded in Northwest Dallas reveals how quickly people suspected it was natural gas.
The caller knew about incidents at two other nearby homes which Dallas Fire-Rescue later said were gas related.
Atmos has not confirmed that all three were gas-related, but the 911 call shows neighbors had no doubt.
A resident who heard the home explode on Espanola Drive on February 23 immediately concluded gas lines were to blame.
"There's a house that exploded in the 3500 block of Espanola,” the 911 caller said. “See, something is wrong with the gas lines. That's the third house!"
In the other two incidents, a home exploded two days earlier on Durango. There was also a house fire a few doors away. Both were gas-related, according to Dallas Fire-Rescue.
Vicky Cintora says the first explosion woke her up.
“It was really loud. Really, really loud,” she said.
While Atmos has said very little about its work in the area before the incidents, Cintora says Atmos crews were working in the alley when a house exploded, killing 12-year-old Michellita Rogers.
“They came here Wednesday morning and Thursday night,” Cintora said. “They were here all night working out in the alley."
Hundreds of residents have now been displaced for about a week and a half as Atmos replaces gas lines throughout the neighborhood.
While Atmos is providing assistance, others are also stepping up. Buckner Children and Family Services brought out a truck to provide laundry services. They are also distributing food and clothes at foster elementary.