Spice up your rice with this quick and easy dish - works great on its own or served with other dishes.
THINGS YOU NEED:
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
½ tablespoon salt
4 cups cooked basmati rice (hot or cold is fine)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
½ cup cashew nuts
½ cup raisins
½ cup frozen corn
¼ cup water
1 handful fresh cilantro
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
Peel and dice the onion into ½ inch squares
Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible
Lightly chop the cilantro
1. Heat the oil in the pan so it's hot then add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and garlic. Let it sizzle for 30 seconds with the lid on.
2. Put the heat on low for 1 minute then carefully take the lid off and add the onions, cashew nuts, corn and raisins, stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Now add the cooked rice, chili powder, turmeric powder, water, salt and ¾ handful of cilantro. Stir and let it simmer for 5 minutes with the lid on (careful not to let the rice stick to the pan).
4. Serve and garnish with remaining fresh cilantro.
5. Suggest serving with plain yogurt.