It’s been one year since a Lancaster teen was found shot dead inside an abandoned Oak Cliff home and no one has been charged with her murder.
Shavon Randle, 13, was kidnapped on June 28, 2017 and shot execution style -- the innocent victim of a dispute over stolen marijuana. The house she was found in has long been bulldozed, but questions still remain about the lack of movement in her case.
Five people were arrested on various charges connected to her disappearance. Darius Fields and LaPorshya Polley were found guilty on federal gun charges earlier this year and are set for sentencing on Sept. 29. Three other men are in jail with a high bond and were charged with aggravated kidnapping.
The Dallas County District Attorney’s office said in a statement they remain focused on pursuing justice in the case.
“Multiple defendants are charged in the case and the office is preparing for trials beginning in the fall. These are 1st degree felonies for which punishment includes potential life sentences. This is still a very active and intense investigation,” the DA’s office said.
Desmond Jones is set for trial Oct. 22. Devontae Owens made a court appearance last week and is scheduled for trial early next year. Laquon Wilkerson does not have a trial date yet.
Former prosecutor Russel Wilson, who is not involved in the case, said the state just doesn’t know with certainty who killed Randle.
“The prosecution is generally trying to bring the most severe charges that they can based on the evidence that they have,” Wilson said.
What evidence the D.A. has does not answer the question who killed Randle or another man, Michael Titus.
“I don’t know that we will ever really know for sure those answers,” Wilson said.