Motive behind Dallas federal building shooting still a mystery

Image 1 of 5

The FBI and other investigators are still trying to determine why a 22-year-old man opened fire on the Earl Cabell Federal Building in Downtown Dallas.

Brian Clyde was shot dead Monday by officers of the Federal Protective Service after a brief gun battle outside the courthouse.

“He was not of investigative interest to us. He was not a subject of investigation of any time... any kind at this point,” said FBI Special Agent in Charge Matthew DeSarno. “So as far as what he was trying to do, we don’t really know that right now. We’re still reviewing video and talking to witnesses.”

Agents will also examine his record and interview his friends and family members to try to understand more.

His Facebook page shared some about his background and seemed to show a fascination with weapons.

He served as an infantryman in the United States Army from 2015 to 2017. He was stationed at Fort Campbell in Kentucky and made it to the rank of private first class.

He attended Woodrow Wilson High School for part of his freshman year in 2012 and then moved to Austin later that year. This spring, he got his associates degree from a community college in Corpus Christi.

Clyde most recently lived at the Watermarke Apartments in Fort Worth. Apartment managers said they're cooperating with investigators. Neighbors were shocked to learn Clyde was the shooter.

“It's pretty scary because I'm right here next door,” said neighbor Lacy Nolly. “No interaction. If you try to speak to him, he really doesn't speak back. But yea, I see him all the time.”

In Monday’s attack, Clyde used a large rifle similar to the one pictured on his Facebook page. He was also carrying five, 30-round magazines of ammunition but never actually made it into the building.

Residents at the condos near the federal building in Downtown Dallas are still processing what they saw.

Cami Bernstein was watching from her window but backed away fearing the gunman might start shooting at her.

“Then we realized he was hiding underneath the SUV in the parking lot,” she recalled. “Then we saw all the cops come out. Pulled him from underneath the car. Ripped his shirt open. Saw the blood.”

The FBI's evidence response team has finished processing the crime scene at the federal building and declared it and the surrounding area safe. The building is expected to reopen Wednesday.

The parking lot where Clyde collapsed after being shot was part of the investigation and people who had parked their vehicles there had to wait until Tuesday afternoon to access them. 

The FBI is now asking for anyone who may have pictures or video of the incident to submit them to Anonymous tips are also welcome.