Lubbock teen dies from electrocution after touching phone in bathtub

A 14-year old Lubbock girl died Sunday morning after touching a plugged in cell phone while in the bathtub, electrocuting her.

Madison Coe's family told KCBD that she was in the bathtub when she either plugged her phone in or grabbed a plugged in phone.

The incident happened at Coe's father's house in Lovington, NM.

"There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that's what had happened," Coe's grandmother, Donna O'Guinn said.

Now, the Coe family is efforting to making sure no one else makes the same mistake as Madison.

"We need to be aware. We need to teach our children that electricity and water do not mix," O'Guinn said. "She’s just going to be greatly missed by all of us. She has a special place in my heart."

The family has posted a GoFundMe for Coe's funeral.