Arrest made in Grapevine road rage shooting

Grapevine police have arrested a 30-year-old man for a road rage shooting Friday morning that sent a woman to a hospital.

The shooting happened just after 7 a.m., on southbound State Highway 121, near Texan Trail.

Police said a 27-year-old woman was driving along Bass Pro Drive, before entering the southbound lanes of 121.

"The driver, the victim, said she may or may not have cut him off. She’s not sure," said Amanda McNew, with the Grapevine Police Department. "And she was on the phone with her husband at the time. So he’s hearing all of this happen, as this other driver is honking at her and screaming."

Moments later, after getting onto 121, a man pointed a small pistol at her and fired.

"Some kind of aggression on the road and suddenly he pulls out a gun and shoots through her driver-side window," McNew said. "The bullet got through her neck, went out the other side. She was able to safely pull over onto the shoulder."

The shooter kept driving.

Police said the victim's husband took action.

"He hangs up and calls 911 and goes to her location," McNew said.


Woman hurt in Grapevine road rage shooting

A woman was shot in the neck Friday morning in what police are calling a road rage incident in Grapevine.

The bullet went through the woman’s neck, according to police. She was taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

She was able to give police a description of the shooter and his vehicle from the hospital, and a witness also gave the same description.

Police established a timeline, and with the help of traffic cameras, focused in on Brandon Leotta Rutt’s license plate. 

The Euless man was arrested at his apartment early Saturday morning. Rutt faces a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

"Because anyone who’s going to shoot a stranger on a highway is someone we need to stop," McNew said.

Police said a handgun was found at Rutt’s apartment.

Investigators are working to determine if it’s a match to the one used in the shooting.

As for the victim, police said it’s remarkable that she survived and that she safely pulled over after being shot.

"Not only did she protect herself, but she potentially protected other people on the road," McNew said.