Pumpkin - Butterscotch Bread Pudding by Chef Kent Rathbun (Servings: 8 )
1 each French baguette (18 inches) or Brioche sliced 1/2" thick and then cut into cubes
8 ounces butterscotch chips
8 ounces heath bar chips
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
12 ounce can pumpkin puree
6 large eggs
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 ounces butter, sliced thin
1. Place sliced bread to a large mixing bowl.
2. Add butterscotch and heath bar chips
3. In a separate mixing bowl mix together sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. (Set aside about 1/4 of a cup of this mixture for later).
4. Add to the sugar mixture the pumpkin puree, eggs, cream, milk and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
5. Pour custard over the bread and mix, making sure all of the bread is soaked.
6. Transfer to a large greased baking pan.
7. Evenly place the butter slices on top and sprinkle remaining sugar mixture over the top of the bread pudding.
8. Bake at 325 degrees until golden brown.
9. Remove from the oven and spread cherry jelly evenly on top and serve.
NOTES This recipe works great as single portions also. Bake bread pudding in a cast iron skillet for a rustic presentation