1 head of garlic, peeled
1 pound cannellini beans picked over, rinsed and soaked overnight
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 meaty fresh ham hock (1 pound)
1/2 pound slab bacon, small dice
1/2 pound semi-dry Spanish-style chorizo ground
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. In a medium sized pot over medium heat render the fat in the smoked bacon. Cook until the bacon is crisp. Remove the bacon from the pot and and drain on a plate lined with paper towels and reserve.
2. Add the diced onion, jalapeno and smoked paprika to the rendered fat and caramelize. Add the minced garlic season with salt and pepper and sauté until garlic is softened.
3. Add beans ham hock and cover with chicken stock and cook on medium low heat for 1 and a half hours or until beans are tender.
4. Remove ham hock from beans and chop the meat off the bone and return back to beans. Discard the bones and skin.
5. Add in chorizo and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve hot.