Northwest Dallas residents allowed back home one day after deadly gas explosion

Three-hundred families in a Northwest Dallas neighborhood have been allowed back in their homes, one day after a natural gas explosion killed 12-year-old Linda Rogers.

”We want to acknowledge the Rogers family and let them know that our hearts are weighing very heavily alongside theirs today,” said Atmos Energy Spokeswoman Jennifer Altieri.

Atmos says crews have completed "exhaustive gas leak testing" and are now replacing two and a half miles of natural gas piping. Natural gas is still disconnected there, but will be turned back on over the next 10 days.

“This is going to be a little bit of a lengthy process and we ask for your patience in this,” said Altieri.

Dallas Fire Rescue says it does not think two other gas-related fires this week were a coincidence.

Residents like Jesus Agosto are finding it hard to wait for more answers from Atmos as to whether a leak could have been detected.

“The community is asking why it took so long for Atmos to come and fix it,” he said.

Saturday, Atmos was not ready to address those questions.

Linda Rogers was a 7th grader at Uplift Williams Preparatory School and was supposed to compete with her Falcons Elite Cheerleading squad at a competition Friday night. The girls performed the show in her honor.

Funeral arrangements are still being finalized.