Man arrested after woman killed in Grand Prairie hit-and-run

Image 1 of 2

Police believe they have the person in custody responsible for a fatal hit-and-run in Grand Prairie early Sunday morning on I-30 near Belt Line Road.

A mother of two got a flat on her way home from work. While she waited for a friend, she was hit and killed.

Investigators initially obtained arrest warrants for 23-year-old Michael Sanchez and 20-year-old Jesica Mosqueda for failure to stop and render aid. Late Monday afternoon, authorities announced they had both been found.

Grand Prairie police found Sanchez around 6 p.m. in the 1500 block of Glynn Oaks in Arlington. He ran away but was caught by officers and taken into custody.

Around an hour later, police found Mosqueda at a home in South Arlington. After interviewing them, police were able to confirm that Sanchez was the driver. As a result, Mosqueda's charges were dropped, and she was released from custody.

Grand Prairie police say the couple was last seen running from a 2009 Dodge Charger after the fatal crash 4 a.m. Sunday in the westbound lanes of I-30 near Belt Line Road.

"Single mother of two tragically killed on her way home from work because she had a flat tire,” Hansen said.

Police say the victim was 29-year-old Troylynn Berkley. She was standing behind her vehicle when she was struck by the Charger.

"The vehicle obviously left a lot of evidence for us to look at, considering the fact that it was left at the scene,” Hansen said. “We were able to take some of that information and develop some leads and determine who was in the vehicle."

Joy Precure was shocked to learn her friend was killed by a driver who police suspect was drunk, based on witness accounts and evidence at the scene.

“She's a wonderful mother. She was working hard trying to provide for them. It's just so sad to hear this,” she said. “It hurts my heart to hear that this happened to such a hard working woman who was just here trying to make a better life for her and her boys.”

Sanchez is being held on a $500,000 bond. He faces felony charges of failure to stop and render aid. If convicted, the punishment ranges from 2 to 20 year in prison.