Former TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin, woman arrested after crash

Image 1 of 10

Former Texas Christian University football star Trevone Boykin was among two people arrested after a car crashed into an Uptown Dallas bar and injured eight people.

Boykin was a passenger in the car that hit Sidebar around 2 a.m. Monday. Police suspect the woman in the driver’s seat, 25-year-old Shabrika Bailey, was drunk when she pulled out of a parking garage and suddenly backed into the front of the building.

Seven people on the crowded sidewalk were hit by the car and a bartender inside the club was injured as the car pushed through the front wall. They were taken to area hospital with injuries like a broken ankle and a dislocated arm. None have life-threatening injuries.

Bailey's mother told Fox 4 the two are just friends but would say little else. She was charged with two counts of intoxication assault with serious bodily injury.

Boykin was arrested for public intoxication and marijuana possession, both misdemeanors. Video from the jail shows the former TCU star quarterback being processed into the intake without incident.

Dallas Attorney Barry Sorrels, who has no connection with the case, says Boykin isn’t in a lot of trouble from a criminal standpoint. But he says the wildcard is what the NFL might decide to do with him.

“Depends on the player that's in trouble, history and the nature of the offense,” he said. “And I think if they take those two factors into consideration, they should be lenient with him."

Boykin was the starting quarterback for TCU in 2014 and 2015. He led the Horned Frogs to a No. 3 ranking and Peach Bowl victory during his junior year. In October of 2015, he appeared at a game with a 7-year-old girl who the team named an honorary captain. It happened after a picture went viral of Boykin kneeling down at an Iowa State away game talking to the little girl who suffered from cerebral palsy.

But his squeaky-clean image was damaged in December 2015 after he was arrested for hitting an officer during a bar fight two days before the Alamo Bowl.

The 23-year-old served wasn't drafted but signed as a free agent with the Seattle Seahawks, where he played parts of four games as a rookie. The Seahawks released a statement indicating they knew about the overnight arrest. They said they were gathering information and were disappointed by it.

Boykin spent most of the day in jail before being released late Monday afternoon. His late release was apparently the result of a delayed arraignment and two unpaid traffic tickets. He had two warrants out for his arrest out of Benbrook because he hadn't taken care of tickets. Boykin left the courthouse without responding to questions.