From Cowboy Chef Mike Newton
3 lbs. Elbow Macaroni
1 T Kosher Salt
1 T Olive Oil
8 T Butter (1 Stick)
1 C Minced White Onion
2 T Minced Garlic
1 t Kosher Salt
1 T Black Pepper
40 oz. Chopped Roasted Green Chiles (save unrinsed jar, for use with Milk)
32 oz. Processed Cheese
1 qt. Heavy Whipping Cream
2 C Milk
Optional: Add 1 block Cream Cheese & 2 C grated Cheddar Cheese
1. In a large stock pot over high heat, fill with water, add 1 T Salt & Olive Oil & bring to a boil; add Pasta & cook until desired tenderness. (I prefer al denté, as the pasta will continue to cook throughout the process.) Remove from heat & drain cooked Pasta, reserving pasta water. Return pasta to pot & set aside.
2. In a large saucepan over medium high heat, melt Butter; add Onion and sauté until translucent; add Garlic and sauté one minute; add Green Chile, Salt & Pepper & sauté for 1 minute.
3. Add Heavy Cream & Processed Cheese & stir until cheese is completely melted.
4. Add Cheese sauce to drained Pasta & mix well, but gently, to coat pasta.
5. If Mac & Cheese is too thick, thin by adding Milk to empty Green Chile jar, shake well, & add to pasta mix as needed. If still too thick, or has thickened after left standing, thin with reserved pasta water. May need to add additional Salt to taste.