Severe storms cause flooding, damage in North Texas

Image 1 of 6

Severe thunderstorms in North Texas on Monday caused extensive flooding and some damage throughout the area.

The National Weather Service said 3.2 inches of rain was recorded at DFW Airport, breaking the July 4 record of 1.31 set in 2006.

Flooding in central Dallas swept away an off-duty SMU police officer and his vehicle into Turtle Creek. High water flooded Mockingbird Lane at Herb Kelleher Way near Love Field. Cars drove through it, but some got stuck.

Highway 183 in Irving was shut down near Loop 12 around 5 a.m. Tuesday to clean up a mudslide on the road. The split of 183 and westbound Highway 114 had standing water. A strip mall off 183 near Story Road in Irving was flooded, surrounding some parked vehicles with high water.

Lightning from the storms may have sparked house fires in Fort Worth. A Twitter used posted a picture of an early Tuesday house fire in the 3500 block of Confidence Drive in North Fort Worth. The home’s owner said she heard lightning, opened her attic door and saw the attic glowing orange.

“There was just fire,” said neighbor Tim Underhill. “You could see it very plainly just gushing from the top of the roof."

The owner, her husband, son and dog escaped safely. The fire destroyed the house. Fort Worth Fire Department is investigating the cause of that fire and another fire on the city’s southwest side.

A fire at a manufacturing plant in the 2600 block of Singleton Drive in West Dallas is also being investigated as a possible lightning fire.

A FOX4 viewer sent a picture of downed power lines sparkling in Dallas, calling it “Mother Nature’s own Fireworks.” Oncor said nearly 12,000 people were without power as of noon Tuesday.

In Irving, strong winds knocked over a car port at an apartment complex. The roof of the car port, located at the Promenade at Valley Ridge apartments, flew off its post and hit a complex building.

"Ten minutes before it happened I came out, I hurried up to come out to roll up my windows,” said resident Janeen Harrison. “I'm glad that I missed the whole thing.”

The National Weather Service said winds up to 60 mph hit the area.