Police: Innocent man killed in Fort Worth street racing crash

Image 1 of 2

Police say a man who was out with a friend was struck and killed by a driver who was street racing in Fort Worth.

Keenan Hilsabeck was a passenger in his friend’s car when it turned onto McCart Avenue from Columbus Trail and was hit by one of the racing cars. The 22-year-old was pronounced dead at the hospital.

The two were leaving work early Sunday morning when their car was hit. Police have not yet made an arrest.

Mike Hilsabeck is in pain after his 22-year-old son, Keenan, was killed.

Keenan was a bartender and passionate musician who played guitar.

Early Sunday morning, police say Keenan was a passenger in a car struck by someone street racing.

“I hope the police find them,” Mike said. “I just hope they have to answer for the senseless thing they did."

Police say Hilsabeck's coworker was making a left turn onto Columbus Trail when a BMW slammed into them. That driver then ran from the scene. Police say the vehicle that was racing never stopped.

Hilsabeck was pronounced dead on the scene. His coworker is hospitalized with serious injuries.

The two worked at Torchy's Tacos on South Hulen. The manager said the entire staff was still in shock.

Minutes after the crash, police say they located the suspected hit-and-run driver.

"We were told they ran off into a certain neighborhood. Officers immediately canvassed that neighborhood and did locate a gentleman,” said Fort Worth Police Officer Buddy Calzada. “That gentleman did have injuries consistent with a motor vehicle accident, and that person was actually taken to the hospital."

Surrounded by support, Keenan’s parents are thankful for the last words shared with their son.

"Every time he left the house I said, ‘I love you.’ His mother said the same,” Mike said. “That's the way we are."

Police say the man the suspected hit-and-run driver was released from the hospital. It’s not clear if he will face charges.

Police are still looking for the other car that never stopped.