Curfew in Fort Worth no longer in effect

Fort Worth City Council members unanimously ended the city's curfew, going against a recommendation by Mayor Betsy Price.

Similar to the rest of North Texas, Wednesday night's protest in Fort Worth remained peaceful.

It’s been a day of anticipation and planning. But to this point, what started as a peaceful showing, quickly turned turbulent.

“My door is open always, but I think it’s more important to come out here where you are to come together in unity here and it’s critical we all do that,” Mayor Price said.

The mayor’s words were applauded, but then speakers during public comment erupted with frustration. At least one was escorted out of the chamber after his time had run out.

RELATED: More George Floyd death coverage

Durmerrick Ross, a Texas Southern University student who grew up in Fort Worth, told the council that George Floyd is not the only person being mourned.

He challenged them to include Atatiana Jefferson, as well as what happened to Jacqueline Craig.

“America, Fort Worth, Tarrant County. You’ve made a hell of a wound to the black community, and it has not been healed yet. Hear me when I say I’m not here to ask for change, because if you wanted to change you would’ve already done that. If you wanted to do your job, it would not have taken a protest to get you to do that,” Ross said. “She’s out of touch because I’m not proud to see us here, I’m tired of seeing us here. I’m tired of seeing us here. I’m angry we’re still here because sadly we’ve been here before.”

The mayor and police chief say the curfew was put in place because Sunday’s protest turned violent and some in the crowd started throwing things at police.

“This curfew is also an example of racism, furthering the false narrative that an organized group of black people is dangerous and a threat to our city,” another resident said.

Thursday's protesters were also fighting for a number of issues from transparency in local government to more de-escalation training for police officers.

Speakers addressed city council for several hours as a crowd continued to rally and march outside in the heat.

But no matter what the conditions, protestors say they’ll continue to speak up.

Residents also spoke about the lack of change they’ve seen since the death of Atatiana Jefferson in her own home last year. They spoke against the use of tear gas on the West Seventh Bridge Sunday night, saying it was unnecessary and they should continue to be able to continue protesting peacefully.