Chef Chad Kelley at Barley & Board in Denton makes a fall farro risotto.
2 C Vegetable Stock
1 C Farro
2 C Butternut Squash -Diced then Roasted
1 C Braeburn Apple -Diced
1 Head of Fennel -Diced
1 Tblspn Calvados Brandy
1/4 C Dried Cherries
2 C Black Kale - Shredded
Walnuts - Toasted & Crumbled Lightly
To cook the farro, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Boil the farro for 10 minutes. Strain, and let cool to room temperature.
To Bring it all together, saute the apple and fennel until they begin to brown then add the squash. Deglaze with a touch of calvados. Add in the cherries, kale and farro and toss. Add vegetable broth and check seasoning. Boil until most of the liquid has reduced and the risotto is nearly dry.
- Fold in some apple butter at the end.
- Substitute any fall or winter squash.
- Use ½ the farro and stuff into a baked sweet potato.
- Add some fresh goat cheese for a tangy element.
- Will pair great with light proteins like shrimp or chicken.
- This recipe is vegan. Adjust to your diet as you wish.