Memorial service held to remember Dallas girl killed in gas explosion

Saturday marks one year since a little girl was killed in a natural gas explosion at her Dallas home.

The explosion was the third gas-related incident in three days in the northwest Dallas neighborhood.

Michellita Rogers died in the blast.

She was a student at Uplift Williams Preparatory School, and like any 12-year-old, she had big dreams.

Her family honored her with a memorial service.

On Feb. 23, 2018, Rogers started the day taking videos of herself getting ready for her cheerleading competition.

Her mother, Maria Rogers, shared that Michellita would make videos for each of her cheer competitions and send messages to her teammates for encouragement.

While she was doing her hair that morning, the family's Dallas home on Espanola Dr. exploded, killing her.

A preliminary report from the NTSB stated that Atmos had detected leaks in the neighborhood, but did not inform anyone living there.

The Rogers say they had no warning signs and are now suing Atmos for wrongful death.

Atmos has since replaced 98 miles of pipeline in Dallas.

On Saturday, friends and family remembered Michellita as the happy, confident child who her parents said had dreams of becoming a doctor.

“Michellita was a beautiful princess. She was a very loving person,” her mother said.

Democratic Texas Representative Rafael Anchia has filed a resolution to pay tribute to her memory and extend sympathy to her family.

He has also filed bills to improve gas system safety, including regulatory oversight and faster replacement of aging gas lines.