Child dies after drinking cleaning product at S. Texas car wash

Police say a 3-year-old South Texas boy died after drinking a cleaning product while his father washed a vehicle at a car wash.

Laredo police say Moises Martinez died late Wednesday.

Police tell the Laredo Morning Times that the child drank an aluminum cleaner that was in a water bottle.

Dr. Hector Gonzalez of the City of Laredo Health Department tells KGNS television station in Laredo that even a small amount of chemicals can cause a lot of damage internally to a child. He adds, "No amount is safe."

The health department says household chemicals should never be taken out of their original container.