Baby of slain teen Marlen Ochoa-Lopez dies after weeks on life support

Image 1 of 4

Marlen Ochoa-Uriostegui and her baby boy Yadiel Yovany Lopez | Family photos

A spokeswoman for the family of a slain Chicago woman whose baby was cut from her womb with a butcher knife says the infant boy has died.

Family spokeswoman Julie Contreras confirmed a family statement posted on Facebook that 19-year-old Marlen Ochoa-Lopez's baby died at 5 a.m. on Friday at Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.

Yovanny Jadiel Lopez died after weeks on life support, according to Contreras, and was still on life support when his condition suddenly deteriorated.

The baby had been in grave condition since the April 23 attack on his mother. A statement from the family said that Lopez died from a severe brain injury.

"It is with great sadness that we inform you of the passing of baby Yovanny Jadiel Lopez. He passed away this Friday June 14, 2019 from his severe brain injury," the statement said.

The family was waiting on a third opinion from medical professionals on his condition at the time of his death, according to Contreras. She said it was not known whether his father, Yovani Lopez, was with his son at the time of his passing though it was not unusual for him to spend the night at the hospital.

Three people have been charged in the case as a mother plotted for months to acquire a newborn before she and her daughter strangled Ochoa-Lopez and cut her baby from her womb using a butcher's knife, prosecutors say.

Prosecutors say 46-year-old Clarisa Figueroa claimed she had given birth to the baby when she took him to a hospital. She and her 24-year-old daughter are charged with first-degree murder.

The charges came three weeks after Ochoa-Lopez disappeared and a day after her body was discovered in a garbage can in the backyard of a home on the city's Southwest Side, about 4 miles from her own home. The 19-year-old has been lured to the home due to an offer for free baby clothing.

She was nine months pregnant.

The family plans to have a private funeral for Yovani.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.