3 arrested after violence on Georgia Tech campus granted bond

Image 1 of 43

The three people arrested during a violent outburst following a candlelight vigil on Georgia Tech’s campus remembering one of its students were granted bond in their first court appearances.

Two officers were injured during the protest and a police SUV was torched.

App users: View full article here

University officials identified the arrestees as Vincent Castillenti, Jacob Wilson, and Cassandra Monden, who’s a student at Georgia Tech.

Castillenti is being held on a $50,000 bond, Monden is being held on a $20,000 bond, and Wilson is being held on a $107,500 bond.

It happened near the corner of Hemphill Ave NW near the Georgia Tech Police headquarters just after 9:30 p.m. Campus officials said about 50 people marched from the vigil to the police department.

Two officers were injured, one was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital, but officials said they both should be okay. A police SUV was also set on fire.

Castillenti, Wilson, and Monden were arrested during the protest and are all facing felony charges. 


Castillenti and Wilson were both charged with aggravated assault on an officer. Castilenti was also charged with willful obstruction of a law enforcement officer by use of threat or violence. Wilson is facing three misdemeanor charges of criminal trespass. 

Monden, a Georgia Tech student, was charged with interference with government property and inciting a riot.

FOX 5 News also learned that suspect Jacob Wilson was arrested in Fulton County during a protest in 2016 for arson, criminal trespass, and criminal damage to property. According to court records, the case was dead docketed.

Suspect Vincent Castillenti has been involved with the group CopWatch East Atlanta, an organization that describes themselves as dedicated to monitoring police activity.

Shortly after the violence erupted, campus police issued several alerts to students, and Georgia Tech was placed on lockdown.


The alert was lifted just after 11 p.m.

RELATED: 911 call leading to fatal Georgia Tech campus shooting released

The incident followed a vigil for Scott "Scout" Schultz, 21, who died early Sunday after a Georgia Tech Police officer shot the student outside a dormitory on West Campus, according to authorities

Several social media posts show a Georgia Tech Police SUV, its front doors open, and fire coming from the front seats. Flames in another video can be seen shooting up 20 to 30 feet high.

A few videos show at least one young person being restrained by an officer after briefly running from an officer, but it was not immediately clear if the person was involved.

RELATED: Georgia Tech campus seeks healing, understanding

FOX 5 News crews, covering the vigil for Schultz, arrived shortly after the vehicle fire was extinguished. A heavier police presence was also seen on the campus. Atlanta Police confirmed their department was asked to send units to the area to help provide additional security following the fire.

The attorney for the Schultz family, L. Chris Stewart issued the following statement Monday night regarding the incident:

"On behalf of the family of Scout Schultz, we ask that those who wish to protest Scout's death do so peacefully.  Answering violence with violence is not the answer.  Our goal is to work diligently to make positive change at Georgia Tech in an effort to ensure a safer campus for all students.

"This is how we will truly honor Scout's life and legacy.

"Scout's family respects the rights of those who wish to voice opposition to what they feel was an unnecessary use of force, but they ask that it be done respectfully and safely."

RELATED: Family wants answers after GA Tech student killed in police shooting