LIVE
Last updated:  Aug 21, 2026 - 2:30 PM CDT

LIVE | Karmelo Anthony Trial: State says 'unprecedented' death threats led to old-school approach

LIVE | Karmelo Anthony Trial: State says 'unprecedented' death threats led to old-school approach

Testimony continues on Friday as Karmelo Anthony continues fighting for a new murder trial.

Anthony was found guilty of murder in June, and a jury sentenced him to 35 years in prison for fatally stabbing Austin Metcalf at a Frisco track meet.

New attorneys for the 19-year-old convicted killer argue his initial trial judge violated his rights by holding conferences that weren’t documented and holding pre-trial hearings where he wasn’t present.

Testimony on Wednesday revealed never-before-released details, including damaging character evidence about both teens. A lot of the details were previously kept off the record because of a so-called "gentleman’s agreement" between the prosecution and the defense.

Details were also shared about a heated argument over whether Anthony should testify. The defense argued it would help Anthony’s self-defense claims, but the prosecution said it would open the door to topics both legal teams agreed not to talk about.

Testimony could wrap up on Friday. Afterward, the newly appointed judge will have some time to decide whether the defense has a strong enough argument to order a new murder trial.

20 updates

Morning recap and what to expect

The death threats have not slowed

Wirskye's testimony resumes

Lunch break

Taking an 'old school' approach

'Unprecedented' death threats

Similarities to other Collin County high-profile cases

State calls Bill Wirskye to testify

Defense rests

Discussions about Karmelo Anthony testifying

Tags