Arlington police shoot suspect who fired at officer during pursuit, officials say

Arlington police shot a man they say committed increasingly violent crimes, including shooting at an officer.

It started with a domestic call at a home Monday morning followed by an attempted armed robbery and a truck theft.

It culminated in a short chase where police say the suspect fired a shot at an officer, and it ended after a crash in the neighbor’s driveway. Two officers shot and wounded the suspect.

The police shooting happened in Kerry O’Connell’s driveway.

"I ran up to the front window, and I see this officer running across the yard with his weapon drawn like this to me," he recalled.

It all started around 10 a.m. Monda when Arlington officers responded to a domestic call at a home about an argument between a family member and a 20-year-old man.

Police found that man nearby the home. They did not find evidence of a crime, so they offered him a ride home but told him they’d have to pat him down for weapons before he was allowed in the patrol car. 

"As they went to pat the male down, he took off running," explained Arlington Police Lt. Courtney White. "The man was not under arrest at that time and had not committed a criminal offense, and so officers did not pursue him."

Then, police say a neighbor called 911 about that 20-year-old man.

"The homeowner called 911 to report that a man holding a gun had approached him and requested money but then quickly left the scene," White said.

While police were investigating the attempted robbery, they got a third call about the 20-year-old.

"The family member reported that he had returned home and was attempting to take a pickup truck in the driveway," White said.

The suspect led police on a short chase in that truck and, at one point, fired at an Arlington police officer.

"He fires a round through his window shield at one of our officers, who is posted up at the end of the street," White said. "That officer then informs everyone over the radio that shots have been fired."

Then, the suspect crashed the truck into another vehicle. The innocent driver survived.

The truck ended up in O’Connell’s front yard. Police confronted the suspect after he got out of the truck.

Two officers shot the man. The gunfire was heard throughout the neighborhood. 

"All of a sudden, I’m like, ‘Why are there so many sirens?’" recalled neighbor Noble Teal. "So then I started walking forward and then, ‘Bang! Bang! Bang!’ About 20 gunshots."

The suspect was then taken to a hospital.

Police recovered a gun at the scene.

"You feel badly for him, but it was really a dangerous situation," O’Connell said.

Police say the suspect is expected to survive. His name will be released once he’s transferred to jail and officially charged.

The man will be charged with aggravated assault of a public servant, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, two counts of aggravated assault - family violence and one count of evading arrest.

No officers were hurt.

Officers involved in the shooting have been placed on paid administrative leave.