Missing Plano woman found dead in Dallas

Image 1 of 4

Police are trying to figure out what happened to a woman who disappeared from a Plano park and was later found dead in Lake Ray Hubbard in Dallas over the weekend.

Authorities said 36-year-old Megan Getrum was last seen at the Arbor Hills Nature Preserve in Plano on Friday. Plano police spent much of Tuesday and Wednesday searching the 200-acre preserve for Getrum.

Late Wednesday, Dallas police confirmed a woman found dead in Lake Ray Hubbard in Dallas on Saturday was, in fact, Getrum. 

Initially, over the weekend, the body remained unidentified. Dallas police would only say at the time that they considered it an "unexplained death."

The search of the nature preserve in Plano yielded no physical evidence, but police are confident Getrum was there about 8:30 Friday evening based on communication she had with a family member.

A family member said they were talking to her on the phone as she was walking through the park around that time when the phone cut out.

"We were able to get cell phone extraction evidence to show she was actually in that park at the time that communication was taking place," Officer David Tilley of Plano police said.

Getrum lives in the area and frequents the park, but friends and family members became concerned after they did not hear from her over the Easter weekend.

Less than 12 hours after Getrum's last known communication, a woman's body is discovered floating off the bank of Lake Ray Hubbard south of I-30 near the President George Bush Turnpike. A passerby pulled it to shore. It wasn't until Wednesday when the two police departments made the connection. 

Plano police previously said there were no signs of foul play, but they couldn’t provide any new information surrounding the circumstances of Getrum’s death.

Plano police also searched Getrum's apartment near the nature preserve. Her car was still at the apartment complex, so police do not think she drove herself to the lake.

"She made it from this park to that lake somehow and it wasn't by her own vehicle, so we are going to be looking into all the evidence that we can determine," Officer Tilley said. "Yeah, it's going to be difficult."

Police are confident Getrum had her phone and a water bottle with her. Those items have not been recovered and would likely be valuable clues about her death.

Police are also waiting for information from the medical examiner to determine how Getrum may have died.