Truck owner shot by Mesquite officer during burglary investigation

- Mesquite police dropped the charge against a man who shot by police last week.

Last Wednesday’s shooting put Lyndo Jones in the hospital. On Tuesday, he was charged with evading arrest. But by Tuesday afternoon, the charge was dropped.

The Mesquite Police Department is conducting its own investigation into an officer-involved shooting last week. The department says Jones was shot when officers went to investigate reports of a truck burglary last Wednesday off Town East Boulevard near Galloway Parkway.

Mesquite police say they received a 911 call about a man breaking into vehicles in the 13000 block of South Town East Boulevard. When they arrived on the scene, police say Jones was sitting in a truck and the alarm was going off. Police now say it was his own truck.

Investigators have been tight-lipped, only saying an altercation turned into a scuffle with Jones as he tried to run off and that turned into a police shooting. Jones struggled so much, police say it took three officers to subdue him.

Police did not say how many times Jones was shot. But his attorneys say he was shot in the stomach and in the back. His attorneys say Jones accidentally triggered the alarm to his own truck and could not shut it off. They say he was trying to explain the issue when he was shot.

“And he ends up being shot for sitting in his own car,” said attorney Justin Moore. “He still is just very confused and angry, of course. I would be angry as well.”

Attorneys for Jones are frustrated that he’s been handcuffed to his hospital bed all weekend even though he wasn’t facing any charges until Tuesday.

Jones' family is upset because they have not been able to visit him in the hospital since he was shot last Wednesday evening.

"It's extremely frustrating. It's heartbreaking,” said Carmen Jones, Lyndo’s sister. “And we didn't even find out about him for two days. And here it is — two more days and we still can't see him."

"I can say that the officer made contact with the individual. An altercation and scuffle began,” explained Mesquite Police Lt. Brian Parrish. “And the individual ended up being shot."

Jones was released from the hospital Tuesday night and spoke to FOX 4 as he was leaving.

"I ain't angry. I just want to know why? I didn't do nothing. He had no reason. So, why?" he said. "It wasn't right. Now, I gotta figure out how to survive, get to work or make some money. I can't because I got shot -- for nothing."

Police say Jones was unarmed. The officer that shot him is a 10-year patrol officer named Derick Wiley.

Jones’ attorneys are upset Mesquite investigators spoke with him in the hospital without his lawyers being present. Mesquite police say criminal investigators were interviewing Jones about him being shot by the officer, not about any criminal wrongdoing on his part.

It’s unclear what exactly happened during the time Jones got out of his truck and when he was shot or why police still have not questioned Officer Wiley about the shooting.

Police are reviewing the dash cam video and body cam. Officer Derek Wiley is on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - includes advertiser stories