Teen recovering after being shocked at Cleburne park

- A 16-year-old Cleburne boy is recovering after being shocked while at a city park. Power to part of the park remains shut off while the city works to determine what caused his serious injury.

The electrical accident happened around 8:30 p.m. Sunday at Hulen Park on the south side of the city. Officials said it appears Jordan Diaz was shocked when he touched a light pole and then a chain-link fence.

“Our response time was three minutes and 16 seconds. The great thing was, in that amount of time, Cleburne PD was on the scene and those officers had already found that young man in full cardiac arrest,” said Cleburne Fire Department Chief Scott Lail. “They were already doing CPR.”

Gabriel Diaz said his son is being treated at Parkland Hospital.

“Jordan is making great progress on his recovery. We are just thankful that he is alive and that this hadn’t happened to someone else’s child,” he said in a statement to FOX 4.

Diaz also alleged that someone knew there was an electrical problem at the park, saying “locals have known… for months and nothing was done about it.”

Cleburne Mayor Scott Caine said his thoughts and prayers are with the boy and his family. He promised a thorough investigation of the park to find out exactly what happened and why.

“The city did not know there was an issue prior to this or we would’ve taken swift action to ensure public safety,” he said.

Lail said he also wasn’t aware of any electrical problems or complaints about the park.

The power to the basketball court area of the park has been turned off and will not be restored until the city has fully investigated the incident.

The park remains open and safe to use in the meantime, the mayor said.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - includes advertiser stories