Teen driver arrested for Fort Worth hit-and-run


Fort Worth police arrested an 18-year-old driver for a hit-and-run crash that severely injured a Timber Creek High School student in March.

Aaron Lancaster was struck while crossing Alta Vista Road in a well-marked crosswalk. He was on his way home after a practicing for a UIL theater competition.

Witnesses said the light-colored minivan that hit him was traveling at a high speed. The driver took off, leaving Lancaster with a skull fracture, broken leg and bruised ribs. He remains in a medically induced coma.

On Monday, police took 18-year-old Matthew Wyman into custody at Crowley High School. Wyman was charged for an accident involving serious bodily injury and booked into the Fort Worth jail. His bond was set at $5,000.

Fort Worth police say someone who knew the Wyman was the break in the case. The woman who witnessed Lancaster getting hit says the arrest is a relief.

Dana Webb says the horrific images are still in her head from three weeks ago when she saw Lancaster get hit.

“I heard him breathing,” she recalled. “And when I was on the phone with 911, I said I know they're breathing, but they are not moving at all."

Fort Worth police got a Crimes Stoppers tip about Wyman. Detectives also had the bumper of a Toyota Sienna torn off on impact.

"They determined that his mother actually owns a vehicle make and model and piece belonged to that vehicle,” explained Fort Worth Officer Jimmy Pollozani.

According to Wyman’s arrest warrant affidavit, "he stated that he was uncertain what he hit and went home."

"I don't know what was going through that person's mind when they were driving after that happened,” Webb said. “I just don't understand that."

The crosswalk is dangerous. After a 13-year-old was hit in 2014, parents rallied to get flashing lights installed. But it didn't stop a teen from being hit by a truck in 2015.

Now, the city is in the process of finally installing a traffic light.

“I wish it would have happened two or three years ago. A lot of this could have been avoided,” Webb said. “I just hope it's not too late and they can get it done sooner and nobody else has to get injured for it."

FOX 4 reached out to Lancaster’s family, but they did not respond.

The city of Fort Worth is in the process of adding the electrical components to the stoplight system. The hope is to have it installed within 6 months.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - includes advertiser stories