Police open fire on Burleson man armed with gun, knife

A 911 call in Burleson ended with a confrontation between officers and a man with a gun and a knife.

Cell phone video captured the aftermath of Friday afternoon’s shooting. The man shot by police was on the on the ground yelling, “kill me."

Prior to the shooting, witnesses say they could hear officers yelling at the man in his early 20s to drop the gun several times before more than a dozen gunshots rang out.

Police say the man called 911 saying he’d been shot after shooting himself in the mouth. But when officers arrived to help, they say he threatened to kill them.

Jamie Lee shot video of the man on the ground surrounded by two Burleson police officers and a Johnson County Constable. She watched from her house after hearing the sirens in the 800 block of Pecan Street.

"They were running around a car there right in front of the house,” she recalled. “The officers were running. And I heard them say drop the gun. And I heard that about three or four times. Then about 15 pops, the gunshots."

Police say both officers and the constable fired shots at the man, but they haven’t said how many shots were fired or how many hit the man.

"He was shot here in his arm, and he started walking stumbling, and they shot him with the taser,” she recalled. “And he fell on the ground. And then he was screaming, ‘Just shoot me! Kill me! Just kill me now.’"

Police say the armed man never fired a shot but kept coming toward the officers.

"We went into the home where the male came out of,” explained Burleson Police Chief Billy Cordell. “There was no other injured people in the home. We did find some blood inside the home."

The man’s name has not been released. He is in surgery and listed as serious to critical.

Police want to know why the man appeared to engage them right from the start.

No officers were injured. The Texas Rangers will investigate the shooting.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - includes advertiser stories