New video shows scene minutes after deadly officer-involved shooting

Police investigating the fatal police shooting of an unarmed man in Euless say an attorney is twisting the truth about what a newly-released video shows.

Attorney Domingo Garcia says the video shows that responding officers didn't do anything to save Ruben Garcia Villalpondo's life.

After a driver came forward Thursday, saying she saw Villalpando lying on the ground unattended for five minutes, a witness came forward Thursday night with iPhone video that Garcia claims shows Villalpando lying on the ground, asking for help while Euless police officers did nothing to save his life.

But a police department spokesman says that's just not true.

The new, 45-second iPhone video was filmed around 6:40 p.m. on Feb. 20, nearly 10 minutes after Villalpando, an undocumented immigrant, was shot twice in the upper chest by Grapevine Police Officer Robert Clark.

Clark claims Villalpando refused orders to stop advancing on him at the end of a chase in Euless.

"They just talked to each other while Mr. Garcia Villalpando, a father of four, is lying bleeding to death, fighting for his life on the side of the road," said Domingo Garcia. "You don't even treat a dog like that, much less a human being."

In the new video, Garcia says six Euless patrol cars can be seen and that information from the witness who filmed it suggests officers just let Villalpando lie there.

"He saw [Villalpando] raise his head, try to raise his arm and ask for help and nobody paid attention to him," said Garcia. "Not one of them tried to give this man first aid, tried to stop the bleeding, put something on him, and instead, let him die."

In response to the video, Euless police told FOX 4 that there was nothing the officers could do.

A spokesman says Villalpando was breathing, so CPR wasn't appropriate, and that he didn't need bandages for his wounds because there was little bleeding.

Police say Villalpando's injuries were beyond the basic first aid skills of the officers.

About 20 seconds into the video, Euless police say you can hear ambulances getting to the scene. At the 38-second mark, officers can be seen walking away from Villalpando when paramedics take over.

Garcia says he died at the hospital four hours later.

Results of Villalpando's toxicology tests to determine if he was under the influence have not yet been released.

He had a pending DWI case from December.

Public records show he was pulled over after a short chase in Lewisville and blew around a .30 BAC during two breathalyzer tests.

The cell video a FOX 4 viewer sent us showing the officer and Villalpando is the only known images of the two before the shooting.

The Tarrant County District Attorney's office has told the Grapevine and Euless police departments not to release the dash camera video out of concern it could harm the investigation.

Garcia says the second witness waited so long to come forward because he didn't think his iPhone video showed anything important. But after seeing another driver speak Thursday, Garcia says the witness realized it could be important to the case.

Garcia drafted a letter Friday night to the Tarrant County District Attorney, asking to preserve Officer Clark's patrol car.

In terms of the dash cam video, the letter insists that it not be deleted or tampered with in any way, and that since Officer Clark has not been arrested or charged with a crime, there's no legal basis for the video to be withheld from the public.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - includes advertiser stories