Mexican Consul in Dallas condemns man's officer-involved death

A deadly police shooting last week in Euless is now an international incident.

The Mexican Consul in Dallas condemned the killing of a Mexican national by a Grapevine police officer. The consul told police Wednesday that by international law, the consulate should have been notified of Ruben Garcia Villapondo's death.

Villapondo, 31, was shot and killed last week by Officer Robert Clark with the Grapevine Police Department after a chase from Grapevine to Euless.

The incident began in a Grapevine parking lot with Officer Clark responding to a business alarm. He spotted Villapondo in a car on the side of the business and turned on his lights.

Police say Villapondo took off at a high speed, and Clark chased him. 

Police have not released dash cam video from the incident; only a transcript.

Police say Villapondo got out of the car with his hands up, and Officer Clark told him not to move. Contrary to instructions, police say Villapondo walked toward the officer while raising his hands and/or placing them on his head, and the officer repeatedly told him to stop.

Villapondo walked to the front bumper of the patrol car, and off-camera, the officer continued to tell Villapondo to get to the back of the car.

Then, two shots were heard.

Cell phone video was taken by a motorist in Euless before the shooting happened. In the video, Villapondo appears to have his hands up while standing near the front of the squad car.

After the shooting, Villapondo's employer, Eric Friend, was contacted by Euless police looking for family. Euless police told Friend that Villapondo had been shot.

 "When I found out he was shot, I was mad," said Friend. "I thought, ‘Where would Ruben go that he would get shot?' because it's out of character."

Friend contacted attorney Domingo Garcia.

"OK, I want answers on what happened and what caused the officer to feel threatened so much that he had to use deadly force to stop  whatever the threat was," said Friend.

At least four people who say they witnessed the shooting have come forward since FOX 4's report Tuesday night. Police have said that what one of those people said didn't match the actual timeline of events.

Officer Clark has been with the Grapevine Police Department for nine months, since May 2014. He worked for DFW Airport police prior to joining Grapevine's force, and FOX 4 was told he left the airport honorably.

Clark didn't have a taser, but did have pepper spray and an expandable baton on his belt -- options available to an officer in what's called the force continuum.

The funeral for Villapando is scheduled for Thursday at 10 a.m.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - includes advertiser stories