Man shot, killed after leading Weatherford police on chase

Weatherford police shot and killed a man after they say he led them on a chase with his baby in his SUV.      

When that was over, authorities came across another surprise at his home.

The bizarre story began at a Weatherford convenience store on Saturday morning. The now-dead chase suspect stabbed someone there who tried to stop an argument between him and his wife.

Police had a warrant for him, and an officer spotted him driving on Tuesday morning.

"The [suspect’s] vehicle failed to yield to him and basically accelerated away,” said Lt. Chris Crawford with the Weatherford Police Department.

Investigators say speeds in the chase exceeded 70 mph at times, and with the suspect in the SUV was his wife, another adult, and his 6-to-7-month-old baby daughter.

Not long into the pursuit, “"The suspect slammed on his brakes, put his car in reverse and intentionally back rammed one of our patrol vehicles,” said Crawford.

Police say a few miles south of the city, the man got stuck in some mud.

“The suspect got out of his vehicle and had a child safety seat in his arms with the open part that carries the child facing him, with the back part facing the officers, and walked at a rapid pace towards the lead patrol unit,” said Crawford. “And once he got there, the suspect opened up our patrol car door and jumped in, threw the child safety seat across the opposite side and jumped in the driver's side seat of our patrol car.”

Crawford says his officers were on the passenger side of the car and shot the man because he was close to, and had access to, an officer’s gun.

"The suspect exited his car, moved back towards the driver’s side door of our patrol unit,” said Crawford. “Our officers were taking cover on this side of the patrol unit just in case the suspect coming out with any type of weapon.”

But the bizarre circumstances continued Tuesday afternoon when police were called out to a house for a gas leak.

It's where the chase suspect lived with his family. Officers fired beanbag rounds through windows to vent it, and now say, evidence suggests the house may have been rigged to explode.

Neighboring businesses like Holiday Cleaners were evacuated. Business owner Robby Williams says he's seen the suspect before.

"He's come over a few times complaining about the trash or complaining about employees parking over on that lot, or customers, even,” said Williams.

FOX 4 is on YouTube --

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - includes advertiser stories