GARLAND, Texas - Firefighters believe a backyard grill set off a massive fire that gutted a Garland home.
Officials said the family living at the home in the 700 block of Briar Way was cooking when the fire began around 11:45 p.m. Thursday. The grill was too close to the house and the roof caught fire.
The flames made their way into the attic, spread and burned the house down.
“Well this house actually they went into what we call a defensive mode pretty quickly. Once the house, once it goes through the roof then it’s a possibility of a collapse from the roof. So at that point when we determined everyone was out of the house safely then we don’t have to go back in,” said Merrill Balanciere with the Garland Police Department.
One man was taken to the hospital for burns and smoke inhalation. Several others were treated at the scene.
The firefighters remained at the house overnight putting out hot spots. Investigators are expected to return on Friday.