Grandparents of dead Grand Prairie 4-year-old tried to get CPS help

The grandparents of a dead 4-year-old Grand Prairie girl say they tried to get help from Child Protective Services and the court system after seeing signs of possible abuse.

Police say 4-year-old Leiliana Wright's life ended because of torture and abuse at the hands of her mother and her mother's boyfriend. Jeri Quezada and Charles Phifer are now locked up and both charged with felony injury of a child.

“Those that failed her for the last year, year and a half, those agencies who should have listened to us. Maybe this wouldn't have happened,” said grandmother Alisa Clakley.

A spokesperson for CPS told FOX4 they've had contact with the girl's mother. A report is being made that will detail all previous contact and determine if any CPS policies were not followed.

“This started from the beginning when we went to court that first time. They told us we didn't have a leg to stand on,” said grandfather Craig Clakley.

What the four-year-old girl went through before her death was too horrific for even Grand Prairie Police Detective Lyle Gensler to even read.

"I got to the second paragraph and had to stop. Most police officers are also parents. When you have the death of a 4-year-old they take it personal," said Gensler.

According to the affidavit, the little girl was beaten to death after her mother and her boyfriend were doing heroin.

The affidavit says the boyfriend tied her up in a closet, she was beaten with a belt and a bamboo stick and slammed against a wall. The beating began because the little girl had been drinking her toddler brother's juice box.

Leiliana’s grandmother can't bring herself to read the details of what happened.

“People are saying how horrific it was, I can only pray it was not that horrific,” Alisa Clakley said. “The only solace I have is she is in Heaven with the good Lord.”

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - includes advertiser stories