Grandmother and grandson severely burned in Grapevine apartment fire

A 63-year-old grandmother and her 4 year old grandson both suffered extensive burns after her apartment caught fire last month.

On December 5th, Sharva Huffines dozed off as she watched cartoons with grandson Aiden.

The 4-year-old got hungry and grabbed a jar of queso dip from the fridge.

He apparently tried to heat up the cheese in the toaster, which then caught fire.

Aiden tried blowing the flames out, but they only got bigger, causing first and second degree burns to his face.

Aiden was able to wake his grandma up but they were trapped in the house, unable to open the door.

A next door neighbor saw the smoke & ran over to bust the glass of the door.

Neighbors carried Sharva and Aiden outside.

The family's dog Linus made it out ok too.

Sharva spent about a month in the hospital recovering from burns all over her body.

Grapevine fire investigators have ruled the fire accidental & non-intentional.

Huffines says she can't get mad at her grandson for causing the fire.

The grapevine housing authority set them up with another place not far away from their condo.

When Huffines got home from the hospital, First United Methodist church and the organization Grace in grapevine helped furnish the new home.

The family says they're overwhelmed by the generosity.

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - includes advertiser stories