Armed suspects accused of robbing grandmother for $9

A Parker County grandmother is recovering after being held at gunpoint in her own home. Luckily, her quick-thinking family helped sheriff's investigators track the suspects down.

Paula Holder thought nothing of helping a young man Monday night who knocked on her door of her Weatherford home and asked to use her cell phone.

He made a call, received a call, thanked her and left.

She says 30 minutes later, the same young man rang her doorbell again.

"Opened the door and he held the gun right to my face and said…he said, ‘Back up and let me in,'" said Holder.

He wasn't alone this time. Parker County Sheriff's detectives say there were two men who were later arrested and identified as 18-year-old Diamond Salinas and 20-year-old Tyler Tice.

They demanded cash, all the while Holder recalls, pointing their guns at her head.

"While the one was pilfering through my bedroom, I talked to the other one," said Holder. "I said, ‘Why are you doing this?' I said, ‘You're allowing this other man to ruin your life.'"

Holder says she had one moment of panic -- her baby grandson was sleeping in a back room. As one of the men walked down the hallway toward that room, Holder went into protection mode.

"I said, ‘You can shoot me if you want to, but I have got to get up and get my grandbaby,'" said Holder. "I said, ‘That man is not going to be back there alone with my grandchild,' and so I just pushed him back and walked down the hall, and about that time he hollered at the other guy, ‘She's coming back!' and so the other guy met me…right at the end of the hall."

The two men stole a total of $9 and finally left. Moments later, detectives arrived.

Just then, Holder's daughter remembered something -- the phone call that the suspect made and Holder's call log.

"I thought, ‘I've got these phone numbers. Oh, I'm just gonna type it into Facebook and see what happens and see who it pulls up,'" said Holder's daughter.

"And it pulled him right up and she showed it to me and I said, ‘Yes, that's him. That's him,'" said Holder.

They showed the Facebook picture to investigators, and within 24 hours, both suspects were in custody.

One of them, Tyler Tice, who was not the one who used Holder's phone, talked to FOX 4 from the Parker County Jail.

"I didn't do anything," said Tice. "I'm in trouble for something. I don't even know what's going on."

"You weren't out with Diamond?" FOX 4 asked him.

"No, sir," said Tice.

"You didn't go to this house? Put a gun to this woman's head?" FOX 4 said.

"No, sir," said Tice.

"Ask for cash?" said FOX 4.

"No sir, I don't even own a gun," said Tice.

Holder says she wasn't physically harmed, but emotionally, will take a long time to heal.

"He seemed so nice earlier," said Holder. "A lesson well learned: don't open the door."

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - includes advertiser stories