3 people found dead inside Dallas home after possible gas leak

- Three people were found dead from an apparent gas leak inside a home in the Pleasant Grove area Wednesday night.

Authorities said a family member called 911 to perform a welfare check at a home in the 7000 block of Red Bud Drive around 7:30 p.m. When firefighters got to the scene, they requested a hazmat team that found high levels of carbon monoxide in the home and the bodies.

Investigators believe the carbon monoxide is to blame for the deaths of 89-year-old Alejandor Rocha, his 83-year-old wife, Rachel, and their daughter, 65-year-old Belinda Dandrige. She was reportedly visiting from out of town. 

"It's a tragic loss to have three members of the same family deceased inside a home. You know, it's not a good feeling for anybody," said Sgt. Warren Mitchell with the Dallas Police Department.

A medical examiner will make the final ruling on the cause for their deaths. DFR said the oven was also left on inside the home, in addition to the high levels of carbon monoxide.

Relatives of the victims showed up at the home throughout the day Thursday, but declined requests to speak about what happened.

Friend Maria Duran has fond memories of Rachel Rocha. The two worked together for decades at a construction company doing maintenance work and always looked out for each other, Duran said.

"She was always giving me tacos. She knew I didn't cook, she was always bringing me tacos. She'd say ‘Maria I got you some tacos.’ She was a lovely lady,” Duran said.

The deaths have prompted renewed discussion on the importance of carbon monoxide detectors in homes.

"When you have them installed, have them installed centrally outside of every sleeping area of your home and on every level of your home,” Evans said. "Carbon monoxide is extremely deadly because it’s colorless, odorless and virtually undetectable."

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

Stories You May Be Interested In - includes advertiser stories