Two Fort Worth SWAT officers were injured Tuesday night when a flash bang grenade went off in one officer's hands as they were preparing to go out and serve a warrant.
The SWAT teams train at the Bob Bolen Public Safety Complex in Fort Worth. They met there to get their equipment ready to go out and serve a search warrant. As one officer was holding a flash bang device, it exploded.
The explosion caused some severe damage and burns to the hand of the officer who was holding it and also went off near a second officer’s head. Both officers were transported by Medstar, which was escorted by SWAT officers all the way to the hospital.
The first officer was taken to Parkland Hospital in Dallas to its burn unit. The second officer was taken to JPS Hospital in Fort Worth.
Officials say the injuries to both officers are non-life threatening.
It’s unclear if the device went off because of a malfunction or it was accidentally triggered by the officer.
The injured officers’ names have not been released.