Market Street dietitian Alicia Jerome gives us three different ways to enjoy oatmeal for National Oatmeal Month.
PB Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie
1 cup milk, fat free
¼ cup natural creamy peanut butter
½ cup Greek Yogurt, fat free
1/3 cup oats, uncooked
½ tsp cinnamon
1 banana, fresh or frozen
1-2 tbsp honey, to taste
2 tbsp chocolate chips, optional
Combine all ingredients, except chocolate chips, in the blender. Blend until smooth. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, if desired.
Parmesan Oat Crusted Chicken
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 c uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
2/3 cup grated parmesan
1 tsp salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley
½ c olive oil
6-8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Combine all ingredients, except oil and chicken, in a food processor or blender and process until a course flour texture.
3. Coat chicken breasts in olive oil then roll in oat flour mixture. Place chicken on sheet pan or baking dish, coated with cooking spray. Pat the remaining oat mixture on top of chicken.
4. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, depending on thickness of chicken.
5. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes for maximum juiciness.
Savory Mushroom and Parmesan Oats
1 cup mushrooms, fresh
1 cup oatmeal, cooked
2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
Parmesan, grated, to taste
1. Saute mushrooms in olive oil over medium until they begin to brown and sweat. Add a pinch of salt.
2. Top oatmeal with mushrooms, toasted pine nuts, parmesan, chives and a drizzle of olive oil.
3. Serve warm!