Chef Stefon Rishel from Max's Wine Dive in Fort Worth teams up with Rahr & Sons Brewing to make beer-braised beef short ribs.
2 oz. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 1lb. Beef Short Ribs
2 Carrots, diced
2 Ribs of Celery, diced
1 Spanish Onion, diced
6 Garlic Cloves, minced
24 oz. Rahr & Sons 11th Anniversary Russian Imperial Stout with Toasted Coconut
2 qts. Beef Stock
1 Sprig Rosemary
1 Bunch Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
1. Tie herbs together with twine as oven preheats to 325 degrees.
2. Season ribs liberally with salt and pepper. Sear in extra virgin olive oil in a pan until golden brown. Reserve on a plate.
3. Add all vegetables and herbs to the pan and sauté until they begin to soften.
4. Deglaze the pan with beer and reduce by half.
5. Return ribs to the pan and add beef stock to cover. Cover pan with lid and bake for 4 hours at 325 degrees.
6. Carefully remove ribs and bundle of herbs from the pan. Reduce liquid to gravy-like consistency.
7. Serve ribs over smashed potatoes* and pour sauce over the top to glaze. Enjoy.
Smashed Garlic Potatoes
2 lb. Red Potatoes
4 Garlic Cloves
½ cup Unsalted Butter
½ cup Heavy Cream
1. Boil potatoes and garlic until softened.
2. Add potatoes to a large bowl with butter, cream, salt and pepper.
3. Smash with potato masher until just incorporated.