Chef Erin McKool from Start shares a recipe that puts a sweet summer spin on cupcakes.
¾ cup butter, softened (remove from fridge 30-40 minutes before using)
4 medium or 3 large eggs (remove from fridge 30-40 minutes before using)
2 ½ cups of unbleached cake flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 ¾ cups sugar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
1 ¼ cups milk
1. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2.Beat butter for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium until combined. Scrape down bowl
and beat for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each egg.
4. Add vanilla and mix.
5. Alternately, add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, mixing on low speed until just combined - DO NOT OVERMIX.
6. Scoop into cupcake wrappers and bake at 350 low fan.
¾ cup butter, softened (set out 30 minutes in advance)
9 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Beat butter until smooth.
2. Slowly add 2 cups of powdered sugar, beating well.
3. Mix in ¼ cup orange juice, zest and vanilla.
4. Slowly beat in remaining sugar. Beat until fluffy, adding orange juice as needed for soft consistency.