Chef Jason West at Sundown at the Granada on Lower Greenville makes a chicken and sausage gumbo using rice flower.
Gluten Free Gumbo
olive oil 2 cup
rice flour 2 cup
chicken stock 4 qt
chicken breast 4 ea
Andouille Sausage, cut into 1/4 half moons 6 links
Onion, diced 2ea
Celery, diced 3ea
Bell Pepper, diced 2ea
Cajun Seasoning 2 tbsp
Bay Leaves 6
Tabasco 2 tbsp
1. Heat oil in pan and slowly stir in flour.
2. Stir pan using wooden spoon making sure roux doesn't burn on bottom.
3. Once roux has reached a peanut butter color reduce heat and continue to stir till dark brown
4. Saute all vegetables, sausage and seasoning and add to pan with ro
5. Next, whisk cold stock in hot Roux whisking till completely mixed and no lumps.
6. Add bay leaves, Tabasco, and chicken and slowly bring to a boil.
7. Once at a boil lower heat to medium, remove chicken, and cook for 1 hour
8. Shred chicken and return to pot.
9. Taste and add more salt or seasoning if needed. Cool and store.