Ron Vasquez from Uncle Julio's shares the recipe for a sauce that's popular during the holidays. It's a decadent Mexican caramel sauce.
Milk - 1/2 Gallon
Sugar - 4 Cups
Baking Soda - 1/2 Tsp
Corn Starch - 4-1/2 Tbsp
1. Place 3/8 Gallon of milk, and 2 cups of sugar in a sauce pan and heat on stove over medium heat.
2. While the milk is heating, place the remaining 1/8 gallon of milk into a small container, add baking soda and corn starch and mix will to dissolve.
3. When milk begins to simmer add the remaining milk to the pan and mix well, then reduce to low heat.
4. Place the remaining 2 Cups of sugar in a small fry pan and heat, stirring constantly, until sugar becomes liquid and dark amber in color
5. Slowly and carefully add the melted sugar to the milk while mixing with a whip.
6. Once fully combined allow caramel sauce to cook over low heat for approx. 2 to 3 hours until it thickens to the desired consistency.
7. Move to a shallow metal container and allow to cool for several hours before using.