NASHVILLE STYLE HOT CATFISH
from Chef Cody Sharp from Filament
- 1lb Catfish filets
- 1 C Cornmeal
- 1 C Buttermilk
- 1 C Ap Flour
- 1/4 C Creole Rub (see below)
- 1/2 C Hot Oil
- 1 white bread (of your choice)
- 1 C Ranch Dressing
- 1 C Dill Pickle Slices
- 4 Tbsp Cayenne
- 2 Tbsp Smoked paprika
- 4 Tbsp Chili powder
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp ground white pepper
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- Preheat pot of peanut oil to 350 degrees.
- Clean catfish fillets and cut to desired portion size.
- Season Cornmeal with salt. Dredge each piece of catfish in flour, buttermilk, and seasoned cornmeal, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- In large bowl, add ¼ C of creole rub with a healthy pinch of salt. Add ¼ C of HOT fryer oil (about 350 degrees) to the mixing bowl and stir until a loose paste forms. You may need to add more oil to achieve the correct consistency. Set paste to the side.
- Fry Catfish in batches until golden brown and crispy. About 4 minutes. Drain on paper towel and season with salt.
- Toss catfish gently in chili paste mixture until evenly coated. If you want it really spicy, just add more cayenne to mix.
- Serve Hot Catfish on top of sliced white bread.
- Garnish with Ranch dressing and Dill pickle slices.