Chef Kent Rathbun from Abacus makes one of his favorite holiday dishes -- cauliflower and truffle soup.
2 ounces whole butter
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 each shallots, peeled and chopped
3 pounds carnival cauilflower (yellow), cleaned, quartered
2 cup heavy cream
2 cups carnival cauilflower (yellow, purple and green),
picked into florets, blanched and chilled and set aside
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon truffle oil
2 tablespoon chives, snipped
1. In a sauce pan add 2 ounces of butter and sauté garlic and shallots until translucent.
2. Add yellow cauliflower quarters and cover with heavy cream. Cook on low heat until cauliflower starts to break apart and soften.
3. Remove mixture from heat, and blend mixture in a blender until smooth.
4. Return to heat and continue to cook on low heat until mixture starts to thicken.
5. Add cauliflower florets to soup and season with kosher salt.
6. Finish with truffle oil, and chives and serve.
Servings/Yield: 8 servings
Time: 25 Minutes