A top barbecue joint shares a classic side -- campfire pinto beans.
2 lbs. dry pinto beans (soak in water for 1-2 hours prior to starting the recipe)
4 big tomatoes, chopped
2-3 fresh jalapeños, sliced
1 sweet onion, chopped
A few cloves of garlic, minced
2 sticks of butter
6 strips of bacon, diced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
6 oz. Mexican beer
½ tsp. cayenne
1 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. garlic
½ tsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. chile powder (can use ancho, chipotle or habanero for extra heat)
½ cup brisket fat and trimmings
1. Start a pot on medium heat and caramelize the onions.
2. Chop bacon into small pieces and cook with onions. When bacon has cooked down a little add butter, tomatoes, garlic, and jalapeño. Cook veggies until soft.
3. Drain and add beans, then cover with water (to cover at least 1 inch on top of the ingredients). Add chopped cilantro.
4. Let it cook for a few hours adding water as needed. After a few hours add the beer, all spices, rendered brisket fat and leftover trimmings.
5. Enjoy with your favorite barbecue meats.
Heim Barbecue is hosting a free lunch for Veteran's Day on Nov. 11 at 11 a.m. The lunch is sponsored by Frank Kent Companies and donations benefit the Semper Fi Fund.