Dunia Borga from La Duni makes a coconut cream pie. It's a great recipe for the end of the summer.
1/2 cup sweetened coconut Flakes
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups Milk
1/3 cups Cream of Coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 9" pre baked pie shell. (make sure is fully Baked)
fresh whipped cream
1/4 cup toasted coconut Flakes for decoration
1. Combine Corn starch, sugar, salt, milk and cream of coconut, in a small sauce pan at stove top cook over medium heat, whisking constantly cook for 5 minutes till thick and bubbling.
2. In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks and add coconut milk mixture slowly bringing to a temper.
3. Place mixture back in the sauce pan and cook stove top at medium heat for 1 minute and bring back to a boil making sure to whisk constantly.
4. Remove from heat, add vanilla, and butter mix well.
5. Add sweet coconut flakes, transfer mixture to a bowl place over ice bath and cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
6. Place in refrigerator till fully cooled.
7. Fill pie crust with custard top with fresh cream and toasted coconut.
9. Keep refrigerated till fully consumed.